Dutch Oven Apple Crisp is the best fall dessert! Sliced apples and cranberries are topped with a sweet cinnamon oat topping. This cranberry apple crisp is dairy-free and is a must-make for the holiday season.
Warm apples and cinnamon is one of my favorite flavor combos. I am a sucker for all apple and fruity desserts. This recipe just screams fall. If you love fall flavors, you will also like my Maple Swirl Pumpkin Muffins and Salted Maple Donuts.
I love the smells and warmth of the spices in this dessert. This apple crisp brings all the cozy feelings. It is made with warm juicy apples, tart cranberries and topped with a crispy crumble. The crisp is similar to apple pie but much easier to make and is the perfect ending to any meal!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Apples- this recipe uses three apples, two Granny Smith apples and one Honeycrisp apple.
- Cranberries- fresh or frozen cranberries will work in this apple crisp. Don't use dried or sweetened cranberries.
- Spices- the apple crisp uses cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, which are all warm spices that pair great with the apples.
- Lemon juice- enhances the flavor of the apples and prevents them from browning.
- Brown sugar- provides a deep caramel flavor that goes great with the fruit in this crisp.
- Flour- you can use regular flour or make it gluten-free. Bob's Red Mill 1:1 baking flour, it is a great substitute for all-purpose flour.
- Oats- rolled or quick cook oats will work.
- Coconut oil- use virgin, unrefined or refined coconut oil, ensure it is melted. You can also use avocado oil.
Gather the following items and let's start baking:
- Mixing bowls- you'll need 1-2 large mixing bowls.
- Measuring cups and spoons needed: ¼ teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, ¼ cup, ⅓ cup, ½ cup, and 1 cup.
- Dutch oven
- Mixing utensil- spatula or wooden spoon.
Prepare the apples. Begin by peeling, coring and slicing your apples thinly.
Make the filling. Add the sliced apples, cranberries, spices, lemon juice, sugar, flour and salt to a bowl and mix to combine. Pour the mixture into the bottom of the Dutch oven.
Make the crumble. Combine all of the topping ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Place the crumble over the filling, making sure to even it out.
Bake the crisp until slightly golden and bubbling.
The apple and cranberry crisp is best served fresh out of the oven so the fruit is warm and the top is crisp.
This dessert can be enjoyed perfectly on its own or with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! To keep it dairy-free, I love using coconut milk ice cream. My favorites are So Delicious and Coconut Bliss.
It would also be delish with yogurt as a sweet breakfast alternative or even as a snack.
To reheat, you can put the Dutch oven back into the oven at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes or at 200 degrees F if you wish to heat it while enjoying a meal. Just keep an eye on it so the topping doesn't burn! You can also heat individual servings in the microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute.
Truthfully, you can use any kind of apples. Pick your favorite! I like using a combination of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp.
The topping! All are made with apples or another type of baked fruit filling but it's the topping that makes the difference.
Crisp: Topped with a combo of oats, flour, sugar and butter (or in this case oil).
Crumble: Similar to a crisp but doesn't use oats.
Cobbler: Some type of dough such as biscuit batter.
Recipes You May Also Like
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly, 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
Dutch Oven Cranberry Apple Crisp
- 3 apples (any kind, I used two Granny Smith and one Honeycrisp) peeled and cored and sliced thin
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rolled or quick cook oats
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut or avocado oil melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Add the sliced apples, cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, lemon juice, brown sugar, flour and salt to a large bowl. Mix to combine using a spoon or your hands.
- Add the apple and cranberry filling to the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients and mix well until combined.
- Place the topping over the filling in the Dutch oven, making sure to even it out. Bake for 45-50 minutes until slightly golden.
- Let cool for a few minutes, serve warm and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. I love to know what you are making and ratings help me to create more delicious recipes for you!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.