These Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Thighs are perfect for your next Summer BBQ. They pair wonderfully with couscous and a side salad.
It's grilling season! The BEST time of year, if you ask me. Dreaming of the days when I have an outdoor gas grill (apartment life), but for now my Hamilton Beach indoor grill will do.
What you need for this Mediterranean chicken recipe:
- Bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Can chipotle peppers in adobo
- Salt & pepper
How to make these Mediterranean chicken thighs:
All you do is add all marinade ingredients to a bowl with the chicken, aside from the chipotle peppers. Then scoop out 2 peppers from the can and roughly dice them until they are small enough to be added to the marinade. You will also add about 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce from the can to the chicken for a little extra flavor.
You should marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes, but preferably for 2-12 hours or overnight. I like to marinate my proteins in a bowl versus a bag to reduce my plastic use but you can use a plastic bag if you prefer.
Grill the chicken thighs on medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. The cooking time depends on the grill you are using. Indoor grills will require more time.
What to serve with the chicken thighs
To keep up with the Mediterranean theme, couscous is a perfect side. However, couscous can be flavorless, so my tip is to cook it in chicken broth instead of water. I also like to add salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice and herbs for additional flavor.
Especially for the Summer months, a fresh side salad also pairs beautifully with these chicken thighs. I served mine with my Strawberry Tomato Summer Salad but a simple green salad would also be perfect.
After dinner, enjoy my Gluten-Free Key Lime Pie Bars for a healthier but still satisfying treat!
Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Thighs
- 1.5-2 pounds bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Begin by trimming fat from the chicken thighs as necessary.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl then add all of the ingredients, aside from chipotle peppers to the bowl with chicken.
- Remove 2 chipotle peppers from the can, roughly dice them and add to the chicken marinade along with 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce from the can.
- Toss the chicken thighs to coat with the marinade.
- Refrigerate and let the chicken thighs marinate for at least 30 minutes but preferably 2-12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Sear chicken thighs for 5-10 minutes per side (longer amount of time will be needed if using an indoor grill) until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Let the chicken rest 5 minutes before serving and enjoy!