This Roasted Tomato and Habanero Salsa recipe is so easy to make and loaded with flavor! Perfect with chips, tacos, burritos and more. Make this roasted salsa recipe for your next party or Taco Tuesday, everyone will love it. It uses fresh ingredients and can be made quickly in a food processor or blender.
Truthfully, I never make homemade salsa, I mean it's just so much easier to buy from the store. But, I went home to my parent's house a few weeks ago and my brother-in-law had made this salsa recipe and I just had to remake to share on the blog. I got his permission to share the recipe.
What you need for this habanero salsa recipe:
This recipe can be customized, depending on how spicy you like your salsa and you can also add additional seasonings if you wish.
- Beefsteak or vine-ripened tomatoes -check out this post for the best tomatoes to use for every recipe. These two are best for salsa recipes.
- Green and red bell pepper- use only green pepper or only red pepper if that's what you have at home or if you prefer one over the other.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic- roast whole garlic cloves or add minced garlic when blending the salsa.
- Habanero pepper- can also use jalapeño pepper instead, but habanero adds additional flavor and more heat to the salsa.
- Lime juice- use juice from fresh limes over the pre-made lime juice.
How to make the roasted salsa recipe:
I made this recipe using the oven by roasting the vegetables at 450 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. Because I live in an apartment, I don't have a gas grill, but this would be a perfect way to cook the veggies. Grill on medium heat for 5 minutes, flip and then grill for 5 minutes on the other side.
Once cooked, allow the vegetables to cool for about 5-10 minutes, then put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until the salsa reaches a consistency you like. Pulse longer for smoother salsa.
Roasted Tomato and Habanero Salsa
- 2 beefsteak or vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cilantro
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tomatoes, peppers and onion in half, place on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and roast for 20-30 minutes, until slightly charred.
- Allow the vegetables to cool for about 10 minutes then add to a blender or food processor with remaining ingredients.
- Pulse a few times until salsa has reached desired consistency, pulse less for chunky salsa and more for a smoother salsa.