These Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos are quick and easy to make. The marinade is made with a delicious spice combo you are going to love!
I've got your new favorite Taco Tuesday recipe. But also, any day of the week can be taco night IMO. These cilantro lime chicken tacos are going to be a hit with the whole family, you will keep coming back to this recipe!
What you need for these cilantro lime chicken tacos:
- Chicken thighs- you will need 1-1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Olive oil
- Lime- you'll need one lime for marinating and serving.
- Salt and black pepper
- Paprika- I love smoked paprika for this recipe, but sweet paprika also works.
- Cayenne- adds some heat to the tacos.
- Onion powder
- Garlic- use fresh, minced garlic cloves in the chicken marinade.
- Cilantro- fresh cilantro is best, you'll need 2 tablespoons chopped.
- Tortillas- use your favorite tortillas- corn, wheat, cassava flour, etc.
Begin by marinating the chicken thighs in olive oil, lime, salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, cumin, garlic cloves and cilantro. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Cook the chicken on the stove in a large skillet or cast-iron pan. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes after cooking. Next, cut the rested chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
Assemble the tacos by placing 2-3 pieces of lettuce on a tortilla, top with about ⅓-1/2 cup of the chicken, a tablespoon of salsa and a tablespoon of guacamole or ¼ of sliced avocado. Serve with a lime wedge and enjoy!
There are a number of ways to heat tortillas. Here are my favorite ways:
1. Heat each tortilla over an open flame for approximately 30 seconds per side.
2. Heat tortillas in a skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds per side.
3. Place the tortillas between 2 slightly damp paper towels and warm in the microwave for 1 minute.
Since the chicken is already very flavorful on its own, I like to use simple toppings for these tacos. Lettuce, your favorite salsa, sliced avocado and/or guacamole all pair great with the chicken.
Yes, you can, however it won't be as flavorful as chicken thighs because chicken breasts are leaner. The chicken breasts will most likely take longer to cook, probably closer to 30 minutes so be sure to check the internal temperature.
The chicken will last about 3-4 days in the fridge if stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze the chicken in a freezer-safe container or bag for about 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
If you have leftover chicken and aren't in the mood for more tacos, you can use the chicken for many things. Add it on top of lettuce for a delicious salad, serve with your favorite vegetables and rice, or use it to make a soup or chili!
Other Recipes You May Like
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly, 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
- 1-1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 6-8 tortillas
- lettuce for serving
- salsa for serving
- avocado or guacamole for serving
- Marinate chicken thighs in olive oil, lime, salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, cumin, garlic cloves and cilantro. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or cast-iron pan on medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add chicken thighs and cook for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees F. Cook longer for larger chicken thighs. Remove the chicken from the pan and let sit for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken rests, heat the tortillas. Heat each tortilla over an open flame for approximately 30 seconds per side, in a skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds per side, or place the tortillas between 2 slightly damp paper towels and warm in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Next, cut the rested chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble the tacos by placing 2-3 pieces of lettuce on a tortilla, top with about ⅓-1/2 cup of the chicken, a tablespoon of salsa and a tablespoon of guacamole or ¼ of a sliced avocado. Serve with a lime wedge and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. I love to know what you are making and ratings help me to create more delicious recipes for you!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.