These Lemon and Herb Salmon Burgers are made with fresh or canned salmon. The crispy outside and flaky middle will make them your favorite burger recipe.
If you love salmon and you love burgers, you’re going to love this recipe. I created this one night not knowing how they would come out and they are perfect! Super flaky, but not dry. They pair perfectly with roasted sweet potatoes plus a side of veggies or simple salad. These take only 25 minutes total, including prep and cook time, so they are perfect for busy nights!
These can be made using fresh salmon or canned salmon. I utilize Panko breadcrumbs here, however, you can replace with gluten-free breadcrumbs, rice crumbs or even almond flour if needed or wanted.
What you need for the salmon burgers:
- Fresh Wild caught salmon
- Dijon mustard
- Cilantro or parsley
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Garlic powder
- Onion salt or onion powder
- Salt & pepper
Additional salmon burger varieties:
- Chili lime- I love love love Trader Joe’s chili lime seasoning. For this variation, I replace the lemon with lime and add the chili lime seasoning and eliminate the dill, all other ingredients stay the same.
- Jalapeño cilantro- this is perfect if you’re a fan of spice! Replace lemon with lime and add 1 small diced jalapeño.
How to make the salmon burgers
If using fresh salmon, cut off skin or have them do this at the seafood counter. You should cut salmon into cubes and add to a food processor blender with egg, lemon juice and dijon mustard. Pulse the mixture until it forms a paste. Transfer mixture to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Form into patties and sear on the stovetop for 2 minutes per side and 5 minutes covered on low.
If you are using canned salmon, you will add all ingredients to a bowl and mix together then form into patties. You can cook on the stove or on broil for 10 minutes. Make sure you use boneless, skinless salmon canned salmon.
Salmon burger toppings:
- Sir Kensington’s sriracha mayo– I hate mayo but I love this one
- Mango or pineapple salsa
Other Posts You May Like:
- 1 pound wild caught salmon or 3 cans boneless, skinless salmon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp scallions
- 2 tbsp cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, can sub gluten free breadcrumbs or almond flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- For fresh salmon: remove skin from salmon and cut into cubes
- Add salmon along with the egg, mustard and lemon juice to food processor or high powered blender (skip the next two steps if using canned salmon)
- Pulse mixture until it forms a paste
- Transfer to a large bowl and add in remaining ingredients
- Form mixture into 4 patties (add more breadcrumbs or lemon juice, if needed)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat
- Once oil is hot, add burgers and cook for 2 minutes per side
- Turn down heat to low and cover, cooking for another 5 minutes until cooked through
- Serve with roasted sweet potato “fries” & your favorite veggie, over greens or on a bun