These Crispy Fish Tacos are made with panko-crusted white fish and colorful and flavorful mango salsa. This fish taco recipe can be made in the air fryer or the oven and is done in less than 30 minutes for a quick, healthy and easy meal everyone will love.
A few ingredient notes:
- Good quality white fish- a mild-flavored, easy to cook fish such as cod, haddock, mahi-mahi, flounder or grouper. I used cod for this recipe.
- Eggs- help the breadcrumbs stick to the fish.
- Breadcrumbs- you can use panko breadcrumbs, rice crumbs (you can get these at Trader Joes's), or gluten-free breadcrumbs if needed.
- Mango- you can use fresh or frozen mango, frozen is easier because it is already diced.
Set up an assembly line- set up a bowl for the flour + spices, a bowl for the eggs and a bowl for the breadcrumbs.
Prepare the fish- dip a piece of fish in the flour mixture, then dip the fish in the egg bowl. Finally, dip the piece of fish in the breadcrumbs and transfer to a plate, then repeat the process with the remaining fish.
Oven method- bake the fish in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for about 10 minutes, until flaky. Transfer fish to a plate and roughly fake into smaller pieces.
- Make it lighter- skip the flour, if you want a lighter meal. Keep in mind, the fish will be less crispy.
- Use a different protein- this recipe would be great with shrimp, scallops or even chicken.
- Flame grill tortillas- I highly recommend heating them over an open flame on a gas stove for 15-30 seconds per side, until slightly charred. You can also heat them wrapped in foil in the oven at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes, in the microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute wrapped in a damp paper towel or in a lightly oiled skillet for 30 seconds per side.
These fish tacos with mango salsa would pair great with Spicy Watermelon Margaritas!
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK NOW!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
30-Minute Crispy Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- 1 ½ pounds white fish, such as cod or halibut, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs*
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 mango, peeled and diced or 2 cups frozen mango, defrosted
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- 8 pieces green leaf lettuce
- cilantro, optional
- lime wedges, optional
- Preheat the air fryer or oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set up an assembly line: combine flour in a medium-sized bowl with the spices and mix to combine. Whisk eggs in a separate bowl and add breadcrumbs to their own medium-sized bowl.
- Dip a piece of fish in the flour mixture until it is coated on all sides, then dip the fish in the egg bowl, again coating on all sides. Finally, dip the piece of fish in the breadcrumbs and press down until it is fully coated. Transfer to a plate, then repeat the process with the remaining fish.
- If using the oven, place fish on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the fish easily flakes with a fork and is opaque inside.
- If using the air fryer, add fish to the fryer basket and spray lightly with cooking oil. Cook for 10 minutes or until the fish easily flakes with a fork and is opaque inside.
- Transfer fish to a plate and roughly flake into smaller pieces.
- Add mango, red onion and avocado to a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice and sprinkle with salt and cilantro. Stir until combined.
- Fill a tortilla with lettuce, a few pieces of fish and top with the mango salsa. Serve with lime wedges and cilantro. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.