These Air Fryer Turkey Burgers are easy to make and can be customized with your favorite toppings. Dinner will be ready in just 30 minutes!
Looking for a simple dinner recipe everyone is going to enjoy? These turkey burgers are just that. This is the perfect quick weeknight meal for busy nights, but also great for serving to guests! Check out some of my other air fryer recipes, including Air Fryer Crispy Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches, Air Fryer Jamaican Style Curry Chicken and Air Fryer Sausage and Peppers.
This burger recipe uses simple ingredients you probably already have in your fridge and pantry. In just 30 minutes, you'll have juicy and flavorful burgers on the table!
What you need for these air fryer turkey burgers:
- Ground turkey- use "ground turkey" instead of "ground turkey breast" as breast meat is very lean and not as flavorful. You want turkey with a higher fat content for burgers.
- Extra virgin olive oil- adding a healthy fat helps to keep the burger juicy throughout cooking.
- Shallot or yellow onion- you can use either a shallot or ¼-1/2 of a yellow onion. This adds flavor, texture and juiciness to the burger. You will use a box grater to grate the onion directly into the ground turkey. The juice from the onion will help create a juicer burger.
- Seasonings- garlic powder, dried oregano, salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Dijon mustard
You just need about 5-10 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes of cook time before you can enjoy these delicious air fryer turkey burgers. Let's get to it!
Start by preheating the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Next, grab a bowl and add in the ground turkey and olive oil. This is when you will get your box grater out and grate the shallot or onion directly over the bowl filled with turkey. Doing this over the bowl, allows all of the juice from the onion to get into the burger mix.
Now, add the rest of the ingredients, mix and shape your patties. Cook for about 15 minutes, add your toppings and enjoy!
Yes! The burgers can be made on a grill or on the stove. Heat the grill to medium-high heat, about 450 degrees F. Make sure grates are well oiled so the burgers don't stick. Cook for 6 minutes per side. If using the stove, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of oil and cook for 6 minutes per side.
The answer is, it depends on a number of factors. You may want to line the air fryer with foil to catch burger drippings or melted cheese. It's best to check the manual of your individual air fryer, however, I do use it in the NuWave Brio. Air Fryer Eats has an entire post on using foil in the air fryer that you may want to check out.
Dry turkey burgers are a big reason many people don't like them or don't want to make them. My tips for avoiding dry burgers:
Fat Content. Use ground turkey vs. ground turkey breast because it has a higher fat content. Adding a healthy fat, such as olive oil, to your burger mix helps to add moisture to the burgers.
Cooking time. Make sure you don't overcook the burgers as this causes them to become dry and crumbly. You want to stop cooking as soon as the burgers reach 165 degrees F.
Toppings and Serving
Toppings. The burgers can be served as is, but I love some toppings on mine.
- Cheese- I love sliced cheddar cheese, but mozzarella, American and provolone are all great options.
- Lettuce- my favorite is butter lettuce on burgers and sandwiches.
- Tomato- sliced beefsteak, heirloom or on-the-vine tomatoes are great.
- Condiments- Ketchup, mustard, relish, avocado, mayo, BBQ sauce, etc.
- More ideas- pickles, sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions or bacon.
Serving. I love serving the burgers with fries and a side salad. Other options: sweet potato fries, Caesar salad, roasted or sautéed vegetables or potato salad.
Other Recipes You May Like
5 Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipes!
Simple Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot or ½ yellow onion grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. In a bowl combine turkey, olive oil and grated shallot or onion. Use a box grater to finely grate the shallot or onion over the bowl so all of the juice goes into the burger mix!
- Add the rest of the ingredients, aside from the cooking spray and cheese, to the bowl and use your hands to mix everything together. Form into 4 equal-sized patties with your hands. Press down on the patties until they are about 1-inch thick and use your thumb to create an indent in the center of each one.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the burger patties into the basket.
- Cook the burgers for 15-17 minutes. If using cheese, top each burger with cheese 1-2 minutes before the end of cooking. Burgers should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Allow the burgers to rest for a few minutes. Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings and sides. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.