This Easy Chicken Salad Recipe with Apples is full of flavor. Packed with sweet apples and crunchy celery, it's easy to make and super filling!
Looking for a way to use up that leftover chicken? Need a quick lunch idea? This easy chicken salad recipe with apples is perfect.
Chicken salad is super versatile and comes together in just about 10 minutes! This version is fall-inspired with the addition of a crunchy apple. It can be served as an appetizer at parties or as a meal by adding it to wraps or your favorite sandwich bread.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken- this recipe calls for cooked chicken. Use leftover chicken breasts, thighs or rotisserie chicken. If you don't have cooked chicken ready to go, cook some breasts or thighs in the oven or on the stove seasoning with just salt and pepper.
- Apple- use a crunchy apple here. Pears or grapes would be a great substitute for the apple.
- Dressing- dijon mustard, mayo, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
Begin by chopping the cooked chicken, celery and apple into ½-inch pieces. Add them to a large bowl.
Add the dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and lemon juice to the bowl.
Mix to combine the salad until everything is coated. Serve immediately on your favorite bread, over lettuce or as is.
When making chicken salad or any salad and using apples, you should reach for a crunchy apple that takes a little longer to turn brown. I recommend Pink Lady, Fuji and Honeycrisp.
This chicken salad recipe can be frozen however, I wouldn't recommend it. Mayonnaise doesn't stand up very well to freezing and will separate when thawed. If you want to freeze this salad do so before adding the mayo.
Yes. If you don't like mayo or prefer not to use it, you can replace it with Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Grab what you need for this recipe:
- Chef's knife
- Large bowl
- Mixing utensil
- Measuring spoons and cups needed: 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, ⅓ cup and 1 cup.
Store the chicken salad in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
More Salad Recipes
5 Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipes!
Fall Chicken Salad with Apple Recipe
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 apple chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Begin by chopping the cooked chicken, celery and apple into ½-inch pieces. Add them to a large bowl.
- Add the dijon mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and lemon juice to the bowl.
- Mix to combine the salad until everything is coated. Serve immediately on your favorite bread, over lettuce or as is.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.