These BBQ Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa are made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker. They are sweet and spicy and perfect for busy nights!
What you need for this taco & pineapple salsa recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Coconut sugar or brown sugar
- Salt & pepper
- Barbecue sauce- I used this one from Trader Joe’s, but any kind will work
- Pineapple- I used frozen pineapple and defrosted it, but fresh will work great in this recipe
- Jalapeño pepper
How to make bbq chicken
The chicken can be made in a pressure cooker (Instant Pot) or slow cooker.
If you are using a pressure cooker you will add chicken breasts, spices and barbecue sauce to the pot, then cover it, seal the vent and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes or low pressure for 1 1/2 hours. When done, release the pressure and shred chicken with two forks or a handheld mixer. Stir in additional barbecue sauce if needed.
If you are using a slow cooker you will add chicken breasts, spices and barbecue sauce to the pot, then cover it and cook on low for 6 hours and high for 4 hours. When chicken is done, shred with two forks or a handheld mixer. Stir in additional barbecue sauce if needed.
How to make pineapple salsa
I used frozen pineapple chunks for this recipe. I defrosted them by placing a strainer over a bowl, to catch the liquid, on the counter for a few hours. You can use freshly diced pineapple, however, I find frozen pineapple to be easier because it cuts down on prep time.
I added the pineapple to a bowl along with a seeded and chopped jalapeño (devein the jalapeño for less spice), peeled and diced avocado, juice from 1/2 of a lime and chopped cilantro. I then mixed the salsa together using a spoon. Super simple!
Additionally, you can add in a diced red bell pepper or red onion for different flavor and color.
How to heat tortillas
I love heating corn tortillas over an open flame (medium heat) for about 15 seconds per side until slightly charred.
Additional ways to heat tortillas:
- Place tortillas in a lightly oiled skillet then heat for 30 sec-1 minute per side
- Wrap tortillas in foil then cook in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes
- Place tortillas on a plate, top with a damp paper towel then cook in the microwave for 30 sec-1 minute
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Serve it with my Spicy Watermelon Margaritas and enjoy the perfect taco night!
Check out these other taco recipes:
If you make this recipe, comment below and tag me on Instagram! xo, Sarah
BBQ Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Pressure Cooker
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups frozen pineapple, defrosted
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Corn tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Add chicken breasts to Instant Pot, pressure cooker or slow cooker
- Add spices and barbecue sauce, give everything a quick toss
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, low pressure for 1 1/2 hours or slow cook on low for 6 hours, high for 4 hours
- Remove the lid and use two forks or a handheld mixer to shred the chicken
- Add all salsa ingredients to small bowl
- Mix with spoon until well combined
- Heat tortillas over open flame for ~15-30 seconds per side
- Assemble tacos by placing chicken on tortilla, topping with salsa and extra barbecue sauce
- Serve with lime wedges