This Gluten-Free Lemon Cake is bright, tangy and perfectly sweet. It's the best dessert for Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day and Summer parties!
I am not the biggest cake person but I absolutely love lemon cake. This cake is decadent, tangy and the perfect sweet treat you didn't know you needed.
This cake uses minimal ingredients and is really easy to make! Gluten-free flour ensures everyone is able to enjoy it. Make it for your next dinner party, Mother's Day brunch or any random weekday. If you like this recipe, you'll also love my Honey and Olive Oil Oat Flour Cake.
You need just a few ingredients for this gluten-free lemon cake:
- Gluten-free flour- my favorite gluten-free flours are from King Arthur and Bob's Red Mill.
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Lemon- you will need both lemon zest and lemon juice for the cake.
- Yogurt- I used a Greek-style coconut yogurt to make this lemon cake dairy-free, however, Greek or Icelandic Skyr yogurt both work for the lemon cake. Make sure the yogurt is plain and unsweetened.
- Eggs- three eggs are needed for this recipe.
- Coconut oil- ensure the coconut oil is melted and then cooled.
- Powdered sugar- you'll need this for the lemon glaze.
Gather the following items and let's start baking:
- One large & one small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons needed: 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, ¼ cup, ½ cup, ⅓ cup and 1 cup.
- Handheld or stand mixer
- Bundt cake pan or any other cake pan
- Cooling rack
Begin by gathering all the ingredients and tools you need to make the lemon cake. Next, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease your cake pan.
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat together the lemon juice, honey, yogurt, vanilla, eggs and coconut oil in another bowl.
Then, add all of the ingredients to one bowl and mix together just until smooth.
Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake. Cool the cake on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Flip the cake over onto a plate and remove it from the pan.
Drizzle the cake with the lemon glaze as desired and enjoy!
You can use any cake pan for this recipe- round, square, rectangular, etc. Be sure to check on the cake so it doesn't over bake. The baking time may be less if you use a different type of pan.
Since the cake contains yogurt, it should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Use maple syrup in place of honey.
Use extra baking powder to replace the baking soda. You need 3 teaspoons of powder for every 1 teaspoon of soda, which for this recipe means you’ll need 2 extra teaspoons of powder.
Instead of coconut oil, you can use avocado oil, vegetable or canola oil.
More Recipes You'll Love
Easy Gluten-Free Lemon Cake
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and generously grease a bundt cake pan with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl or bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the lemon juice, honey, yogurt, vanilla, eggs and coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes then invert cake on serving plate.
- Add powdered sugar and lemon juice to a small bowl and mix together, until smooth. Pour onto the cake as desired. The glaze will thicken as it sits a room temperature.
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.