Strawberry Pound Cake is made with yogurt and juicy strawberries for the best healthier pound cake recipe. Top it with an easy homemade coconut milk strawberry frosting for a delicious Summer dessert!
Summertime is all about light and fresh foods, especially fresh berries. There's just something about a strawberry treat that is just so good. Today, we're making a twist on the classic pound cake by adding fresh, juicy strawberries to the batter.
This strawberry pound cake is perfectly dense but also perfectly moist. It's made with yogurt instead of butter to make it a little lighter than the traditional treat which is made with a pound of butter, eggs, flour and sugar.
You probably already have a number of these ingredients in your fridge and pantry. A few ingredient notes to ensure you make the best cake:
- Maple syrup- we're using ¾ cup of maple syrup as a sweetener in this cake instead of regular sugar.
- Yogurt- to keep this cake nice and moist, you'll need yogurt. To make this dairy-free, I used Cocojune coconut yogurt. You can use any unsweetened dairy or non-dairy yogurt, just make sure it is a Skyr or Greek-style. A European-style yogurt will be too runny for this cake.
- Strawberries- fresh strawberries are needed for the cake and you will also need freeze-dried strawberries to make the frosting.
- Coconut milk- you'll need one can of chilled coconut milk for the frosting. There are only certain brands that will whip properly. Use only Thai Kitchen or Whole Foods 365 brand.
Gather the following items and let's start baking:
- Mixing bowls- you'll need 2-3 medium-large sized bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons needed: 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, ¼ cup, ½ cup, ⅓ cup and 1 cup.
- Handheld or stand mixer
- Bundt cake pan
- Cooling rack
Begin by gathering all of the ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a bundt cake pan.
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in other. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix the batter until well combined. Next, fold in the strawberries. Then, pour the batter into the pan and bake.
While the cake is cooling, make the frosting and once cooled completely, frost the cake. Cut into slices and serve!
Room temperature ingredients. It's important to use room temperature eggs, fat and liquids in baked goods. Room temperature ingredients are able to bond together better and create a smoother cake batter. Cold ingredients can result in clumpy and dense baked goods. For this recipe, make sure the yogurt, eggs and milk are at room temperature (about 65-70 degrees F). Also, be sure to allow the melted coconut oil to cool before adding to the batter.
Coconut whipped cream. Make sure you use one of the two brands of coconut milk I suggested above and be sure to chill the can in the fridge overnight. Before making the frosting, chill the bowl in the fridge for about 10 minutes and then scoop the thick white cream from the can of coconut milk and whip this to make the frosting.
5 Easy Weeknight Dinner Recipes!
Strawberry Pound Cake
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup Greek or Skyr-style yogurt at room temperature
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup crushed freeze dried strawberries
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 can chilled coconut milk or cream use only Thai Kitchen or Whole Foods 365 brand, others will not whip properly
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and generously grease a bundt cake pan with cooking spray or butter.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl or bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the maple syrup, yogurt, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and milk, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until all the batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the cup of diced strawberries and fold in lightly with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs. While the cake is baking chill a mixing bowl in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes then invert cake on serving plate.
- Prepare the frosting by adding the thick white cream from the can of coconut milk to the chilled bowl. Beat until fluffy about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add in maple syrup or honey and beat until combined. Fold in the crushed freeze dried strawberries.
- Frost the cake once it has fully cooled. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.