These Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins are the perfect grab-and-go snack. Sweetened with honey, they are refined-sugar free, light and fluffy.
This is the perfect spring and summertime muffin recipe. I’ve had this recipe in my mind for a while, because I love lemon and blueberry together. I love baking with yogurt because it gives the muffins a great texture. I used coconut yogurt but a traditional Greek yogurt would be a great substitute.
I originally used coconut sugar in these muffins, however, I think honey is the perfect sweetener for this recipe and I’m so happy I made this change. Maple syrup is a substitute here if you don’t have or like honey.
For flour, I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Baking Flour. Since it is a 1:1 substitute, all-purpose is a great alternative. I have not tested other flours in this recipe.
These are bakery-style muffins, perfect to grab for a quick snack and pair with your favorite cup of tea!
What you need for the muffins
- Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 baking flour but all purpose flour should work)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest & lemon juice
- Honey (I used local raw honey, melted in the microwave for 30 seconds)
- Yogurt (I used plain coconut yogurt but Greek yogurt would be a good substitute. I would not use a European-style yogurt as this would be too runny)
- Coconut oil (melted)
- Blueberries (fresh is best but you can use frozen)
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Muffins
The trick to getting bakery-style dome topped muffins is to cook the muffins at 425 for 6-8 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for another 16-18 minutes.
The higher temperature will cause the lemon blueberry muffins to rise high. Lowering the temperature will ensure the inside of the muffins are cooked through.
Looking for more gluten-free recipes? Try these:
- Gluten-Free Oat Flour Honey Olive Oil Cake
- Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- Oat Flour PB&J Banana Bread
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free or all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2-1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Grease muffin tin or line with muffin liners
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl
- Mix together wet ingredients in medium bowl
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until combined (don’t overmix!)
- Fold in blueberries
- Evenly distribute batter throughout muffin tin, filling almost to top
- Bake at 425 degrees for 6-8 minutes
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
If you make this recipe, tag me on Instagram! xo, Sarah