This Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup is packed with flavor and is the perfect cozy meal. Everything you love about stuffed peppers in soup form, whip it up for the family tonight and enjoy!
Get ready for your new favorite winter soup. This season is all about trying to stay warm and cozy and enjoying comforting dishes. This easy stuffed pepper soup is just that!
The flavors in this soup make it a filling, hearty and satisfying meal. It's the perfect soup for a family dinner or to meal prep for the week!
What you need for this stuffed pepper soup:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Red and green bell peppers
- Ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- Spices: chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of tomato sauce
- Chicken broth
- Jasmine or basmati rice
You only need a few kitchen tools for this recipe:
- Cutting board and chef's knife
- Dutch oven or large saucepan
- Stirring utensil
- Measuring cups and spoons needed: tablespoon, teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, 1 cup, ½ cup and ¼ cup.
How to make this easy stuffed pepper soup:
Begin by dicing the onion and bell peppers, then heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and bell peppers. Stir and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
Next, add the ground turkey to the pan and brown, while crumbling for about 6-8 minutes. Then, stir in minced garlic, salt, black pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and oregano.
Pour in the can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce and chicken broth. Stir and bring the soup to a simmer. Turn down the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Open the lid, mix in the rice, turn the heat down to low and cook until the rice is done around 15-20 minutes.
Turn off heat, serve right away and enjoy!
Tips & Substitutions
- Rice. If planning to have leftovers or use as meal prep, use pre-cooked rice instead of uncooked rice. Uncooked rice will continue to absorb the liquid and result in mushy rice and a no liquid soup.
- Bell peppers. I used a red and green bell pepper but you can use yellow or orange instead. Use whatever color you prefer and/or have on hand.
- Ground turkey. Instead of ground turkey, you can use ground chicken, ground beef or ground pork.
- Slow cooking & pressure cooking. Sauté vegetables and brown ground turkey before slow cooking or pressure cooking. Then, add all ingredients, aside from rice into the cooker and stir. Slow cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes and allow a natural release for 10 minutes.
If you like this dish, you'll love these soups too!
Stay in Touch
Make sure you subscribe to my newsletter! I send emails of "What to make, read, and listen to" each month and also include some of my favorite products and purchases. Plus, you'll receive my Weekly Meal Planning Tips!
I love interacting with my community on all social channels, so don't forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup jasmine or basmati rice*
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and bell peppers. Stir and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey to the pan and brown, while crumbling for 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in minced garlic, salt, black pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and oregano.
- Pour in can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce and chicken broth. Stir and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Open the lid, mix in rice, turn down the heat to low and cook until rice is done, around 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, serve right away and enjoy!