This Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup is packed with flavor and is the perfect cozy meal. Everything you love about stuffed peppers in soup form, whip it up for the family tonight and enjoy!
Get ready for your new favorite winter soup. This season is all about trying to stay warm and cozy and enjoying comforting dishes. This easy stuffed pepper soup is just that!
The flavors in this soup make it a filling, hearty and satisfying meal. It's the perfect soup for a family dinner or to meal prep for the week! Instant Pot meals are quick and perfect for busy nights.
What you need for this stuffed pepper soup (full quantities are in the recipe card below):
- Yellow onion
- Red and green bell peppers
- Ground turkey
- Spices- chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano.
- Can of diced tomatoes- I prefer unsalted so you can adjust the salt to your liking.
- Can of tomato sauce
- Chicken broth- similar to the diced tomatoes, I recommend using low sodium broth.
- Jasmine or basmati rice
You only need a few kitchen tools for this recipe:
- Cutting board and chef's knife
- Instant Pot or other pressure cooker
- Stirring utensil
- Measuring cups and spoons needed: 1 tablespoon, 1 teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, 1 cup, ½ cup and ¼ cup.
Begin by dicing the onion and bell peppers, then heat olive oil in the Instant Pot over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey to the pan and brown it while crumbling for 6-8 minutes. Turn off the Pot and add the diced onion and bell peppers.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and close the lid. Set to pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
Allow pressure to come down naturally for 5 minutes. Release the valve, serve and enjoy!
Tips & Substitutions
- Rice. If planning to have leftovers or use as meal prep, use pre-cooked rice instead of uncooked rice. Uncooked rice will continue to absorb the liquid and result in mushy rice and a no liquid soup.
- Bell peppers. I used a red and green bell pepper but you can use yellow or orange instead. Use whatever color you prefer and/or have on hand.
- Ground turkey. Instead of ground turkey, you can use ground chicken, ground beef or ground pork.
Can this be made in a slow cooker?
Yes, and it can also be made on the stovetop.
Slow cooking: Sauté the vegetables and brown the ground turkey before slow cooking. Then, add all of the ingredients, aside from rice into the cooker and stir. Slow cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Cook rice according to package directions and add to the soup just before serving.
Pour in the liquids, stir and bring the soup to a simmer. Turn down the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Mix in the rice, turn the heat down to low and cook until the rice is done around 15-20 minutes.
Easy Stuffed Pepper Soup Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup jasmine or basmati rice*
- Heat oil in the Instant Pot over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey to the pan and brown, while crumbling for 6-8 minutes. Turn off the Pot.
- Add the diced onion and bell peppers. Stir in the minced garlic, salt, black pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and oregano.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes, can of tomato sauce, rice and chicken broth.
- Close the lid. Set to pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to come down naturally for 5 minutes. Release the valve, serve and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.