This cast iron Buffalo Chicken Dip is everyone's favorite game-day snack or party appetizer. It's made with Greek yogurt, less fat cream cheese and no ranch for a healthier shredded buffalo chicken dip.
Cheesy, spicy, creamy and in dip form? Yes please! This cast iron buffalo chicken dip is my dream appetizer and snack. It's made with simple ingredients like shredded chicken, buffalo sauce and spices you already have in your pantry. This dip will be devoured in no time!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Healthy, real food ingredients. This buffalo chicken dip is made using simple ingredients made from real food and without blue cheese and ranch dressing.
- Simple and easy to make. This recipe requires minimal prep and comes together in just a few simple steps.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Shredded chicken- you will need 2 ½ cups of shredded chicken breasts. You can boil, poach or bake the chicken beforehand or use rotiserrie chicken, leftover chicken or even canned chicken.
- Buffalo sauce- your favorite buffalo sauce will work for this recipe. My favorites are the New Primal medium buffalo sauce and Wegman's brand buffalo wing sauce. The classic Frank's red hot will work great and can be found at most grocery stores.
- Cream cheese- to make this dip healthier and lower in fat, I recommend using lower or less fat cream cheese.
- Greek yogurt- use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer.
See the recipe card below for quantities and remaining ingredients.
Grab the kitchen tools you need for this recipe:
- Forks for shredding the chicken
- Large mixing bowl
- Mixing utenstil
- Cast iron skillet or baking dish
- Measuring spoons and cups needed: ½ teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, ¼ cup, ½ cup and 1 cup.
How to Make
This healthier cast iron buffalo chicken dip is really easy to make, just a few steps!
- Prep. Preheat the oven, remove the cream cheese from the fridge to allow it to soften and gather the tools needed to make this recipe.
- Mix the chicken together with the cream cheese, yogurt and buffalo sauce.
- Combine the mixture with the remaining ingredients, aside from cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake and broil until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Serve hot with chips, crackers and/or veggies!
I highly doubt there will be any leftovers but if there are, store them in the fridge for 2-3 days and reheat in the microwave for about 2 minutes. You can also reheat in the oven at 350 degrees F until warm.
I don't recommend freezing the dip.
Yes! If you want to prepare the dip the morning of or day before a party, you can. To make this ahead of time, follow steps 2 and 3 in the recipe card below. Prep the chicken and mix everything together in a bowl. Now, cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you are ready to bake.
Preheat the oven, transfer the dip to the skillet and bake as directed.
Nope! You can use any round, square or oval baking dish around 8x8inches. If you use a bigger dish, the dip will be thinner and you will need to reduce the cook time.
For reference, I used a 10.25 inch cast iron skillet.
This dip is super versatile and can be served in many different ways! Serve it up with tortilla chips, potato chips, crackers, or celery and carrot sticks.
Spread it on top of crusty bread, on a pita or in a wrap with some greens. Honestly, you can always just dig in with a spoon!
- Use precooked shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken. This will make things easier as you don't have to cook the chicken before preparing the dip.
- Remove the cream cheese from the fridge about 30 minutes before to allow it to soften.
- Adjust the spice level. Use a milder buffalo sauce or use just ⅓ cup if you need to make the dip less spicy. You can also add more or a pinch of cayenne pepper if you love it spicier!
More Dip Recipes
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly, 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
Healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip (No Ranch)
- 2 ½ cups shredded chicken breasts (cooked)
- 1 (8 ounce) block of reduced-fat cream cheese softened
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon green onions chopped
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded chicken with the cream cheese, yogurt and buffalo sauce.
- Add in the spices and mozzarella cheese and stir until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the cast iron skillet and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble. Set the oven to Broil and broil for 2-3 minutes until the top is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and serve with tortilla chips and celery sticks.
If you make this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. I love to know what you are making and ratings help me to create more delicious recipes for you!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.