Keep warm this season with delicious and creamy spiked hot chocolate. This vegan hot cocoa is healthy, customizable and takes just 10 minutes!
What's better than a warm mug of hot chocolate on a freezing cold day? Spiked hot chocolate! It's just that much better.
This hot cocoa is vegan, rich and super easy to make. The whole thing comes together in just 10 minutes! This recipe is for 2 servings but you can easily make a large batch for a crowd or just a single serving for yourself. Kids can enjoy this too, just omit the alcohol.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Easy to make. This recipe is super simple and takes just 10 minutes!
- Simple ingredients. You only need 5 ingredients for this recipe and you most likely already have them at home.
- Customizable. You can add your favorite liquor and toppings, make it how you like it!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Non-dairy milk- any non-dairy milk will work for this hot chocolate (oat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.) Make sure it is unsweetened.
- Cocoa powder- any unsweetened cocoa powder will do.
- Rum- I used Appleton Estate Jamaican rum. Any aged or dark rum will work as will bourbon or peppermint schnapps.
- Maple syrup- using this to sweeten this spiked hot cocoa.
- Cinnamon- this is optional, but I love adding just a pinch for some extra spice.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
Grab what you need for this recipe:
- Measuring spoons and cups needed: ¼ teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, 1 ounce, ½ cup and 1 cup.
This cozy drink is super easy to make!
- Pour milk into a saucepan followed by the remaining ingredients, aside from the rum.
- Whisk over medium heat until hot.
- Pour in the rum.
- Serve immediately in two mugs and top with your favorite toppings.
Best alcohol for spiked hot chocolate
There are lots of options when it comes to choosing the type of alcohol for this recipe. Dark spirits work great with this recipe. Some ideas:
- Dark or aged rum
- Bourbon or whiskey
- Peppermint schnapps
Yes! If you want to make this recipe for a party or more than 2 people, it can easily be made into a large batch. Simply double, tripe or quadruple the recipe. Follow the recipe below the same way.
You can also add all of the ingredients, aside from the alcohol, to a slow cooker. Heat on low for about an hour. Then stir in the rum.
Yes! Simply omit the alcohol from the recipe. Everything else will stay the same. This is great way to start your day if you're looking for something warm but don't want coffee.
This recipe is great on its own, but it's also fun to add toppings.
- Mini marshmallows- make sure you look for vegan marshmallows. I recommend Trader Joe's or Dandies.
- Whipped cream- coconut or almond whipped cream are both delicious options.
- Chocolate shavings
- Sprinkle of cocoa or cinnamon
- Flakey sea salt
- Crushed candy canes
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly, 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
Dairy-Free Spiked Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 2 ½ cups dairy-free milk (oat, coconut, almond, etc.)
- 2 tablepsoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 ounces dark or aged rum
- Over medium heat, add milk to a small saucepan. Whisk in the cocoa powder, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Heat until hot, continuing to whisk until all ingredients are combined (about 8 minutes). Do not boil.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the rum. Serve in two mugs and top with vegan marshmallows or whipped cream. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. I love to know what you are making and ratings help me to create more delicious recipes for you!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.