These Sweet and Spicy Sesame Wings are the perfect party appetizer or game day food. They are sweetened with honey and have just the right amount of spice.
If you can’t tell already, I’m obsessed with Asian-inspired recipes. The flavors work so well on many different foods and in a variety of dishes.
These sesame wings are the perfect appetizer for your Summer cookout and game day get-together or they make an easy family dinner served alongside sweet potato fries and your favorite salad.
I used coconut aminos for this recipe but you can use soy sauce or tamari instead. I prefer coconut aminos because they have less sodium. Liquid aminos would not be a good substitute here because they are too salty.
The honey is the key to the sweetness of this recipe and it thickens the sauce which allows it to stick perfectly to the wings.
What you need for this sesame wing recipe
- Chicken Wings
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground ginger
- Coconut aminos- you can sub soy sauce here
- Sesame oil
- Honey- I used raw honey, but any honey will work in this recipe
- Chili garlic sauce -if you don’t have this, you can use red pepper flakes for spice
- Sesame seeds (optional for garnish)
- Scallions (optional for garnish)
How to make sesame wings
These Sweet and Spicy Sesame Wings are made in either the oven or in the air fryer. Preheat either appliance to 400 degrees, cook at 25-30 minutes and flip the wings halfway through.
While the wings are cooking, cook the sauce on the stove until it thickens enough to stick to the wings. You don’t want the sauce too thicken too much because it will turn to a glaze. The sauce should be just thick enough so that it can coat and stick to all the wings.
Check out this similar recipe:
Sweet & Spicy Sesame Wings
- 1.5 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2-1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- Preheat air fryer or oven to 400 degrees
- Pat wings dry with paper towel
- Add wings to medium-sized bowl and season with spices, mixing with hands until fully coated
- Add wings to air fryer basket or lined baking sheet
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, checking and flipping halfway through
- Meanwhile make the sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients in small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat
- Once boiling, turn down heat to low and simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, about 5-8 minutes*
- Add wings to large bowl, pour sauce over top and toss to coat
- Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions, if desired. Serve immediately
If you make this recipe, tag me on Instagram! xo, Sarah
*The links that redirect to Amazon are affiliate links, which means I receive a commission on your purchase if you order anything through these links. Thanks for supporting me and my blog!