This Creamy White Chicken Chili is an easy weeknight dinner that is made with healthy ingredients and is full of flavor! The salsa verde chicken chili is made without beans and dairy and is Whole30 and paleo friendly.
Looking for a healthy but cozy meal on a chilly winter day? This white chicken chili will warm you right up! It requires minimal prep and is full of pantry staples.
This dish is filled with so much flavor but it's perfect if you are paleo or doing Whole30. This chicken chili has no beans or dairy! You will be going back for seconds.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Healthy. This creamy chicken chili is full of filling protein and healthy fats for a satisfying meal.
- Flavorful. The chili is versatile and full of delicious flavors.
- Whole30 and paleo. If you are on a paleo diet or doing Whole30 this recipe is perfect.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Chicken breasts- this recipe calls for chicken breasts but you can also use thighs, both work great.
- Onion- a yellow or white onion will work.
- Green bell pepper
- Can green chiles- you'll want a 7 ounce can of diced green chiles
- Salsa verde- any brand will work but be sure to check ingredients if you need the salsa to be Whole30 compliant. Trader Joe's and Whole Food's 365 brand are both good options. I also recommend Late July, Casa Sanchez Foods and Herdez.
- Coconut cream- make sure this is unsweetened coconut cream. I recommend Thai Kitchen or Whole Foods 365 brand. Look out for gums and other additives if you are doing Whole 30. You can also use the cream at the top of a full fat can of coconut milk.
See the recipe card below for quantities and remaining ingredients.
Grab what you need for this recipe:
- Cutting board
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Can opener
- Measuring spoons and cups needed: ¼ teaspoon, ½ teaspoon, 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, ½ cup and 1 cup.
How to make dairy-free white chicken chili:
- Cook the onion and green pepper in oil until soft.
- Add in the spices.
- Pour in the chiles, salsa and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pot.
- Cover and simmer.
- Shred the chicken and add in the coconut cream.
Yes- it can be made in either.
Add all of the ingredients, aside from the coconut cream to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back to the pot along with the coconut cream. Stir to combine, cover and cook on high for 10 minutes. Serve.
Set the pot to Sauté, add the oil and once hot add the onion and green pepper. Cook until soft. Add in the garlic and spices and mix for about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add the remaining ingredients, aside from the coconut cream to the pot. Stir, cover, set the valve to Seal and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Remove the lid and shred the chicken. Place the chicken back into the pot with the coconut cream and allow to cook for about 2 minutes on the Sauté setting. Serve.
There are so many options, some of my favorites are:
Crushed tortilla chips or strips (not Whole30 or paleo)
Shredded cheese (not Whole 30 or paleo)
Storage and Reheating
The chili can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for about 2 minutes before serving.
Freeze the chili in a freezer-safe container or bag for about 3 months. Allow it to defrost in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Top Tips and Variations
- The coconut cream helps to thicken up the salsa verde chili. However, you can also use less chicken broth if you want it to be thicker.
- Add a diced sweet potato to switch things up!
- This chili is Whole30 compliant because it doesn't contain any beans but you can of course add a can of white beans (Great Northern Beans).
More Chili & Soup Recipes
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly, 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
Creamy White Chicken Chili with Salsa Verde (Whole30)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chiles
- 1 (16 ounce) can salsa verde
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut cream or the hard part on top of a can of coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add the diced onion and green pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the garlic cloves, salt, black pepper and spices.
- Pour in the can of green chiles, jar of salsa and chicken broth. Mix to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan.
- Cover the pot, bring to a slow boil, turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred with two forks, add it back to the pan and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut cream and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve topped with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
If you make this recipe, please leave a rating and a comment. I love to know what you are making and ratings help me to create more delicious recipes for you!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.