This Quick Coffee Cake recipe is made using boxed cake mix and has a delicious cinnamon crumb topping. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and dig in.
Coffee cake has always been one of my favorite morning treats. Despite the name, there's actually no coffee used in this recipe. However, it's best enjoyed with a hot cup of joe or even your favorite tea.
This coffee cake recipe is light, sweet, and made with cake mix for an easy and quick treat! But let's be honest, the best part of this loaf is the crumb topping, it could be eaten on its own. This recipe can easily be made dairy-free as it calls for oil and no butter and can be made with any non-dairy milk. I used oat milk.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Cake mix- I used Whole Foods' 365 brand yellow cake mix. Any yellow or white cake mix will work for this recipe, make sure it is between 15-18 ounces.
- Cinnamon- adds a beautiful warmth and spice.
- Eggs- you will need 3 eggs for this coffee cake.
- Maple syrup- mixed together with cinnamon to create a maple filling that goes in the middle of the cake. This step can be ommitted or you can replace the syrup with honey or agave.
- Oil- any mild-flavored oil will work. For the crumble, use melted butter, coconut oil, avocado oil or olive oil.
- Milk- any unsweetened dairy or non-dairy milk will work, it helps to add moisture to this cake.
- Brown sugar- brown sugar is needed to make the crumb topping.
- Flour- I used all-purpose flour in the crumb topping.
Make the cake. Whisk together all of the cake ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix together the maple filling.
Pour batter into a pan. Pour ½ - ¾ of the cake batter into the pan. Top with the cinnamon maple swirl and pour the rest of the batter over top.
Make the crumble. Combine the crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. The mixture should be forming clumps and hold together when pinched between two fingers. Scatter the topping over the top of the coffee cake batter and bake.
Gather what you need to make this cinnamon coffee cake:
- Mixing bowls- you'll need 3 mixing bowls, one large.
- Measuring cups and spoons needed: 1 teaspoon, 1 tablespoon, ¼ cup, ⅓ cup, ½ cup, and 1 cup.
- Square baking pan- Any 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan will work. I like this square pan from Amazon.
- Mixing utensils- you will need a spoon, spatula and whisk and/or hand mixer.
- Cooking spray
- Cooling rack
Coffee cake is a soft and moist cake that usually has a streusel topping and is often served as a breakfast treat. It's called coffee cake because it is commonly served with coffee.
Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clean or with a few crumbs, the cake is done. If there is batter on the toothpick, bake for another 3-5 minutes and check the cake again. Don't overbake!
Storage and Reheating
Store the cake mix coffee cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature, up to a week in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
To reheat, simply microwave a piece for ~30 seconds in the microwave. If reheating from frozen, allow the coffee cake to defrost before putting a slice in the microwave.
DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE 30-MINUTE RECIPE COOKBOOK NOW!
You'll get my 8 best family-friendly 30-minute recipes, complete with ingredients and instructions!
Easy Cake Mix Coffee Cake
- 1 (15-18 ounce) package of yellow or white cake mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk*
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
Cinnamon Maple Filling
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x9 or 8x8 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all of the cake ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Pour ½-3/4 of the batter into the greased pan.
Cinnamon Maple Filling
- Mix the cinnamon and maple syrup in a small bowl until combined.
- Pour the filling on top of the cake batter in the baking pan.
- Top with the remaining cake batter and make the crumb topping
- Combine the crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. The mixture should be forming clumps and hold together when pinched between two fingers.
- Scatter topping over the top of the coffee cake batter. Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely (about 20-30 minutes), remove from the pan, slice and enjoy!
Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.